How we collect and use your personal data
- When you sign up for our services, we process personal data that you provide to us such as your name, email address and payment information. We process this information to manage the customer relationship and to process payments.
- When you use our services, we transmit and store the content of your messages and files, as well as related metadata (time and date, file size etc.) to provide you with the file transfer services.
In addition to these main purposes, we process technical data related to your browser and device such as browser version, ip address and cookies, as well as statistical data related to the use of our services. We also process personal data to maintain the security, integrity and lawfulness of our services and to comply with our legal obligations such as bookkeeping.
How long we store your information
- All file transfer content is deleted when a transfer expires, however, content may be available in data backups for a brief period of time. Users with an account may access messages relating to file transfers in the message archive.
- Metadata related to messages and file transfers is anonymised and kept for statistical purposes following the expiry of a transfer.
- User accounts are maintained for 365 days after the end of a subscription to enable quick reactivation should you decide to return to Filemail, and will then be permanently deleted.
- Transaction data is kept for 3.5 years after the end of the fiscal year to comply with bookkeeping regulation and to be able to resolve dispute and support cases.
- You may request erasure of your data at any time, but please note that you will not be able to use our services if you decide to erase your data and that we still need to keep certain records to comply with legal obligations or to establish, defend or exercise legal claims.
Where your data is stored
- Files are generally stored in your region (based on your current IP address), but you may choose a different storage region. Transfers uploaded in the EU are stored in the EU. Transfers uploaded in the US are stored in the US - you get the picture. With a Business or Enterprise Account you can specify exactly which regions of the world that files may be stored in. We are currently represented in the US, Germany, Spain, Norway, Austria, UK, The Netherlands, Brazil and Australia.
- Other data is generally stored in our core servers located in The Netherlands. This includes data such as account information, subscription data and technical and statistical data
- You can request a data dump of all the information we keep about you. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to file such a request.
- You can easily update your own personal data in order to keep it accurate. Go to settings to update this information.
- We offer a Data Processing Agreement that you as a customer may sign and return to us at email@example.com. You can download our Data Processing Agreement (PDF).